By Jonathan Whitcomb, a chess tutor offering lessons in the Salt Lake Valley
Of course many schools have their own chess clubs, but we now look at others, beginning with chess clubs in Utah, starting in the south. Some of these organizations offer chess lessons or contact information for instruction in the royal game.
St. George Chess Club
- Contact: (435) 656-1966
- Address: 354 East, 600 South, #302, St. George, UT 84770
- Hours: open 3 to 6 pm Monday through Thursday, 3 to 10 pm on Friday, and for lunch between 11:30 am to 1:30 pm on weekdays.
You might want to phone before dropping by the St George Chess Center, to be sure they’re still in operation.
Dixie Rocks Chess Club
They meet on Wednesdays at the St. George Library (5-7 p.m.) and Thursdays at the St. George Recreation Center (about 6-9 p.m.).
- Contact: Mike Kruse 435-703-8001 or 435-627-0616.
- “Bring your boards and pieces. All ages, everyone welcome for casual chess.”
Heber City: The Wasatch County Senior Citizen’s Chess Club
- Contact: Christy Ackerson 801- 864-6403
- Address: Wasatch County Library/Senior Center, 265 E 1200 S, Room 157
- Hours: First Monday of the month at 5 p.m.
Sandy Senior Center Chess Club (Utah)
- For senior citizens
- General information about the senior center: (385) 468-3410
- Address: 9310 S 1300 E, Sandy
- Hours: Play starts at about 12:30 or 1:00
Harman Senior Center Chess Club in West Valley City, Utah
- For senior citizens
- Contact: Jonathan Whitcomb – 801-590-9692
- Address: 4090 South 3600 West (Salt Lake Valley)
- Hours: about 12:30-2:55 p.m. on Wednesdays (but call first, to be sure the center is open on the Wednesday you’d like to come: 801-965-5822)
Salt Lake City: Sugar House Chess Club (Utah)
- Contact: Greg Smith 801-870-1515 or Kevin Keyes 801-641-8408
- Address: Chick-fil-A, 1206 East 2100 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84106
- Hours: Tuesday nights from 6:30-10 pm.
- All skill levels welcome
Boise Chess Club in Idaho (founded in 2014)
- Contact: 208-343-5653
- Address: All About Games, 7079 Overland Road, Boise, Idaho 83709
- Hours: Monday’s from 4:00 p.m. to closing (10:00 p.m.)
CDA Chess Club, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Contact: James Maki 858-243-5110
- Address: 1323 E. Sherman Ave., Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814
- Hours: every Wednesday from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Enjoy a tournament or casual play. All levels are welcome.
Idaho Falls Informal Chess Club
They meet at the Barnes & Noble bookstore/café, Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
More places to play the royal game in Idaho
Visit this page: Idaho Chess Association
Jonathan Whitcomb can give you chess lessons if you live in the Salt Lake Valley of Utah. The first introductory session is free, and you can decide where to go from there. Call 801-590-9692 for more information about private chess lessons.
I’m a chess tutor in living in Murray, Utah, and am active in the chess club of the Harman Senior Recreation Center in West Valley City. Recently I played an endgame there against one of the stronger players in the club.
The day before yesterday I played an informal game at the chess club of the Sandy Senior Center. Normally their games start at 12:30 p.m. on Mondays, but once a month (first Thursdays) they invite outsiders to come play the royal game.
1. Join a chess club and compete informally . . .
2. Read and study chess books, using the best methods …
3. Record each of your games, to later analyze . . .
4. Take private chess lessons from a qualified tutor . . .
[This is not the same end game shown further up this page.]
Can a chess book prepare a club player for an end game? It depends on both the book and the game. Basic principles of the end game can be learned from chess books, to be sure, but experience over-the-board and careful pondering of possibilities can count for much.
St. George is proud to boast that it has its own chess center that promotes chess and serves as the local governing body of the game as an affiliate of the United States Chess Federation.